12.17.2013

room by room :: guest/kids bathroom

While I'm putting the finishing touches on the boys' bedroom, I thought I'd share the design plan for the downstairs guest bath that is primarily used by the kiddos. Keeping that in mind, I wanted the bathroom to be #1 functional and easy to clean, #2 simple and classic and #3 gender neutral. One of our first choices was this vanity and sink combo from Ikea.
Hemnes + Rattviken Sink Cabinet $379 :: Ikea
We spotted these vanities on a "idea gathering" trip early in construction and, individually, picked them out. Then when we were showing each other what we liked...we realized we'd chosen the same ones making these an easy choice. I was inspired by the color scheme and stripe design in this bathroom by Sarah Richardson (one of my favorite designers).
Classic Ensuite :: Sarah 101
In this design, she blended off-the-shelf tiles in white, cream and gray - a combo that I felt was neutral but not too boring and would give me flexibility with wall paint and accessories through the years. Now, to interpret that inspiration for our bath. First I chose the floor tile and grout color (which I also planned to use in the master bath).
American Olean 12-in x 12-in Sausalito White White Ceramic Mosaic Wall Tile (Actuals 12-in x 12-in)
American Olean 12X12 White on White Hexagonal Tile $2.57/sf:: Lowe's
Polyblend Sanded Grout in Delorean Gray :: Home Depot
The photo of this grout is quite a bit darker than the actual product when it's dry. I thought the gray was a nice contrast to all of the classic white tile. I had already I painted the walls a very pretty light gray. 
We installed a white tub, deciding on ceramic tile for the shower surround. For this, I wanted a rectangular field (main) tile, but large rectangle tiles are muy expensive! So I searched and searched, configured and reconfigured...I finally settled on this 6X8 tile from Home Depot. In the end, the size turned out just right and the price was awesome!
U.S. Ceramics 6X8 Tile in Bright Snow $2.25 ft :: Home Depot
But of course, I wouldn't be happy with a plain white shower stall. So I broke out my trusty graph paper and designed a stripe pattern that would add some style, but hopefully not be too busy for the space. I found a gray 2X6 trim tile and penny rounds in an almond color.
Daltile Semi Gloss 6X2 Bullnose Ceramice Tile in Ice Gray $0.98/each :: Home Depot

Merola Tile Cosmo Penny Round in Almond (12X12 sheets) $6.97/each :: Home Depot
I decided on two accent stripes that consisted of a 4" band of the almond penny rounds sandwiched between two bands of the gray bullnose. I ordered the accent tiles without getting samples first, but when they arrived, I couldn't have been happier. The gray is almost a perfect match to the wall color and the penny rounds have several shades of cream and almond that give it really nice dimension.

**A little side note of serendipity here: When I was shopping for the gray ceramic tile, I took a chance and ordered the bullnose tiles which were less than a dollar each as opposed to $2.05 for the 1/2X6" flat liner (too thin anyway) or $1.98 for the 2X6" field tile. That was a huge savings! As it turns out, the thickness of the ceramic field & accent tiles is slightly more than the thickness of the penny rounds. So when installed, the curve of the bullnose rounded perfectly to the penny rounds. I'd like to say I planned that all out, but I just got super lucky!

I'm framing the last art prints now and installing a few accents. I'll post shots of the completed room soon!

BTdubbs...Only a week till Christmas Eve!! Heading out now for some last minute shopping, which is honestly, my favorite kind. I love working on a tight deadline! LOL 

Merry Christmas Peeps!


No comments:

Post a Comment